Monday, January 21, 2008

Agile Web Development with Rails

I got the book Agile Web Development with Rails today. I've read to page 71 + the Ruby language appendix. I've learned a couple of things that I didn't understand yet. For example, I learned that the scoffolding that I was so proud of for getting the application up and running, isn't meant to ship with the final product. It doesn't look pretty, but it can help you with building the application until you get the real finishing touches into the application. It really is just scaffolding.

This sentiment was confirmed on my ride home today with a fellow named David. He has been using Ruby on Rails for the last two years and he says he never uses the scaffolding. At first I was taken a back a little bit, but I can see that he is right.

A scaffolding view and controller is just a page that will put functionality in dynamically, but it doesn't care how it looks, just that you can operate the application until you get your real stuff in there.

No comments: